Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Super Saturday!

I love Saturdays! Lanny worked on Saturday for the first eleven years of our marriage so it was never a favorite day of mine until last June when he started working for Cintas. He finally got a Monday thru Friday schedule and it felt like we could start playing together as a family! I am quite selfish with our Saturdays now and I just want to spend the whole day together. Well, this last Saturday we decided to do a garage sale and see if we could clean out some of our stuff, and especially some of my vinyl lettering inventory. It turned out to be so fun! Our good friends and neighbors, the Price's, did one too which made it extra fun. We started at 7:00 am, this after staying up until 1:00 am getting ready (I'm not a procrastinator, am I?). As we began dragging our junk out onto the driveway, I realized that we have WAY WAY WAY WAY too much stuff! However, very little of it actually made it to the sale! I'm also a sentimental procrastinator who loves my stuff! And I'm married to a sentimental packrat who also loves his stuff! And we have five darling, sentimental packrats who love their stuff! So, for all our grand intentions, our garage sale was quite measly! Pathetic was the word I used after we saw all our stuff outside! But we did have a lot of vinyl lettering stuff so it didn't look too bad! The lettering turned out to be the hot item of the day, but we also managed to sell most of our big stuff. The kids had a blast running back and forth between our house and the Price's and they loved finding "treasures" hidden in other people's "trash." The kids also did a lemonade/otterpop/rice krispy treat stand and had fun with that. Their mood changed dramatically and quickly depending on if each person bought a treat or not. Luckily, we had nice people come to our sale so we had very happy kids! Hence, my advice for the day: Buy lemonade from every kid that you ever see, regardless of if you want it or not. Encourage entrepenurialship (yes, I know it's spelled wrong, but I think it's phonetically correct! Speaking of phonetics, have you ever noticed that the very word PHONETIC, isn't phonetically correct? It would have to be fonetik. How ironic! But I digress, back to my advice.) Lanny is very good at stopping at lemonade stands and often says that the drinks aren't very good, but the kids sure get excited when he buys it from them. And I do need to add that our kids' lemonade was SUPER GOOD! Ice cold Countrytime! And ecstatic kids to go with it! Where else could you get all that for a dime? It's a bargain! Anyway, at about noon we pulled out the grill and cooked a bunch of hot dogs for lunch. The Prices came over and contributed yummy, homemeade cinnamon rolls to our picnic (Gee, I wonder who got the better end of that deal? That would be us!) and we drank cold, refreshing lemonade and it felt RIGHT! Being with my family and friends, enjoying the day, making a few dollars, good food and drinks, happy kids, well, you get the point. It was such a fun day! Later that night we decided to take the kids to the movies and just relax. We saw National Treasure 2 and all really liked it. Well, Austin didn't like having to be quiet and sit still, but thankfully he fell asleep about 1/3 of the way through the show. I treasure my time with my family. Maybe the ONLY good thing about Lanny's long work hours is how much we appreciate the time we actually do have together more than if he were home more. However, having said that, I will also say that I would LOVE to try having him home more and challenge ourselves to still treasure our time together. I think we would be successful at that. We are one of those couples who truly love being together and don't ever get sick of each other. What a blessing! And the kids LOVE doing things together. Especially when Lanny is around! The best time of every day is when they hear the garage door go up which means that Daddy is home. I guess that's a good indicator of what kind of Dad he is! THE BEST! Well, I guess that sums up our Super Saturday! Hope yours was Super, too!